Gluten Free Mince, Veggie and Egg Pie (Quiche)
This pie or quiche was very filling. Not only that, it was very sweet. I’m not sure why. Perhaps it was a combination of the free range eggs and the Coconut Flour. I was really delighted when I got into this pie. The only thing we thought could benefit from improvement was that the crust was a little too thick. That is probably because the flour absorbs a lot of water.
Coconut Flour Tips
Coconut Flour can absorb moisture from almost anywhere.
These are the things that can alter the way that Coconut Flour performs:
- this recipe is 3/4 of a cup of flour, before sifting. If you try sifting it first, then measuring it will produce a different result
- your altitude above sea level will affect the performance of the flour
- how your flour was stored immediately before use will determine how much moisture it has absorbed already before using
Directions for Pie Crust
1. Preheat oven to 204 degrees. In a medium bowl beat coconut oil (or butter), eggs, and salt together with a fork.
2. Then add coconut flour. Mix until dough holds together.
3. Gather the dough into a ball, then pat into a 9″ greased pie pan.
4. Prick the dough with a fork.
5. Bake for 9 minutes. Let cool.
Filling for Pie
Green veggies of choice for example Spinach, Leeks, Silverbeet (Chard), Onions (enough to fill the pie crust 3/4 full.)
Aprox. 300g of Mince
4-6 eggs (depending on the amount of mince and veggies)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Directions for Filling
Brown mince in frying pan with salt and pepper, then add veggies, stir and cover, stir occasionally, when veggies are soft then remove from heat and place in pie crust.
whisk eggs and pour over top of mince and veggies, combine it all together and bake at 180 for 20 minutes or until egg is cooked.
Are you new to Coconut Oil?
We’ve got a short tour for beginners at the “Start Here” page.
Take a look now at the “Star Here” page if you’re new to Coconut Oil.
Who wrote this short article?
Neil Smith, The Coconut Oil Shop Team
What makes this food blog different is that it is written by one father, with the help of his teenage daughters, and family for purpose of showcasing coconut products in a family friendly way.
For more ideas join us at Camp Coconut!
If you want some more recipe ideas on how to make healthy goodies with Coconut Oil, then you’ll need to have a login to the free learning area at Camp Coconut! www.coconutoilshop.co.nz/camp-coconut
Join us at Camp Coconut!